This project is addressed to students interested in Health sciences, Biomedicine, Biology or Chemistry.
- To understand the consequences of chronic kidney failure and why kidney transplantation is the best option.
- To know about the importance of kidney donation and major surgical advances in kidney transplantation.
- To learn on the mechanisms of rejection, management of immunosuppression, and kidney regeneration.
Coordinators of the project
- Chief of the Department of Nephrology and Renal Transplantation at Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge and Associate Professor of Medicine at University of Barcelona.
- President of the Catalan Society of Nephrology and Associate Editor in the American Journal of Transplantation and Clinical Kidney Journal.
- Awarded the Fundación Renal Ínigo Álvarez de Toledo Prize for Clinical Investigation in 2013 and 2017.
- Research interests focus on renal transplantation, kidney regeneration and diabetic kidney disease.
- Chief of the Department of Urology at the Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge and Associate Professor of Urology at University of Barcelona.
- Head of the surgical Kidney transplant program at the Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge since 2016.
- Work focused in the surgical aspects of transplantation, especially in the minimally invasive surgery field.
- Initialization in the laparoscopic nephrectomy for the live donor transplantation at the Bellvitge Hospital and, recently, the robot kidney transplantation program.
- Member of the European Association of Urology (EAU) Robotic Urology Section (ERUS) and the Robotic Assisted Kidney Transplantation Group.
- Researcher in the Nephrology and Renal Transplantation group at IDIBELL.
- Broad background in pharmacology, with specific training and expertise in pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenomics and population pharmacokinetics studies to optimize the administration of immunosuppression in kidney transplant recipients.
- Associated Researcher in the Nephrology and Renal Transplantation Group (IDIBELL-Hospital de Bellvitge).
- Co-foundator of a biotechnological spin-off, focused on cell therapy in regenerative medicine obtaining in 2017 the approval of the AEM for the Phase II Clinical Trial of the company's first product.
- Different international and national collaborations and actively participate in the European Commission in evaluations associated with the Marie Curie system since 2011.
- Head of Cardiac Insufficiency and Transplantation at the University Hospital of Bellvitge.
- Transplant coordinator at Bellvitge University Hospital
- Transplant Coordinator at Bellvitge University Hospital.
Bellivitge Hospital University (HUB) was opened in 1972 and is located in the city of Hospitalet de Llobregat (Barcelona) and belongs to the Catalan Health Institute (ICS). The HUB is one of the only five hospitals in all Catalonia certified as third level center, allowing to treat high level complexity cases, and is of reference to more than 2 million of people.