GETTING FINANCIAL SUPPORT
While working in the previous challenges, applicants are encouraged to commit to their dreams by making loads of efforts to seek financial assistance and, therefore, to support their participation at BIYSC.
Although we expect that parents or legal tutors may be the main source of their funding, BIYSC participants should be conscious that when becoming a scientist, getting funds is a key element for achieving their goals.
Through this 3rd Challenge, we encourage students to be creative in thinking of possible ways of self-fund, which will be taken into consideration for the final selection of BIYSC participants.
We want students to ask their teachers if their school has bursaries to recognize talented students or if they know of any local charity, foundation, or company that might consider funding their participation in the program or part of it. Besides, there are other initiatives that students can undertake in order to earn some money to help cover the participation fee of the program, such as:
- Gather up some friends and make something you can sell afterward, or re-sell stuff you do not need online or at a second-hand market.
- If you are good at a subject in school or playing an instrument, tutor your friends and neighbors and help them out with the homework and studying for tests.
- Babysit for your neighbors and your parents’ friends. Or during the vacation months (summer, Christmas, Easter…), when you do not have school, but parents still need to go to work, you can hold a daycare service in the neighborhood. This works best if you have some friends helping you out too.
- If you are comfortable around animals, pet sit, or dog walk for your neighbors.
- Get a part-time job, or a job you can do during your vacations. If your parents own a business, you can also ask your parents to let you work part-time.
- If you play an instrument or sing well, gather up some friends, form a music band, and perform in local festivals, weddings, and other ceremonies.
- If you consider yourself a good artist, sell your artwork.
- Start a YouTube channel to promote your talent. If you get popular, you can apply to the partnership program and get paid for it.
Within the Application Form, students must explain how they plan to collect the necessary funds to cover their participation fee in case of becoming selected. Those candidates that work harder to get financial support will be better considered by the researchers in charge of the selection and this will be reflected in the final selection.