The Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge (BIYSC) is an educational program organized by Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation, Passeig de Gràcia, 92 (08008 Barcelona, Spain). VAT Registration No. G65345472. All details here are published in good faith as of September 2016. These Terms & Conditions apply to all BIYSC applicants and participants.
- Requirements for your application to be considered:
- To be born between January 1st 2002 and December 31st 2004.
- The submission of the authorization form with the parent/legal tutor personal information.
- The submission of the online application form that must fill the candidate student.
- The confidential recommendation of the science, mathematics or technology teacher.
- The confidential recommendation of the tutor, head teacher or head of studies in the center.
- There will be three application calls: from December 3rd 2019 to January 14th 2020 (first*), from January 15th to February 25th 2020 (second*), and from February 26th to April 1st 2020 (third*).
- Applications that do not provide all the requested documentation will be excluded from the selection process.
- The submission of the application form does not guarantee the direct entry to the program. All candidates will be part of the selection process.
- The selection process consists of two phases: preselection and selection.
- The preselection is based on the documentation provided by each applicant. The researchers and professionals in charge of the projects offered in this edition will individually review and assess all applications received. For the preselection the following documentation will be considered:
- Answers to questions on the application form (reasons to have chosen the specific research project (in a video format), personal statement and letter of motivation, personal experience in the field of science, ethical argumentation in science and endeavor undertaken on getting financial support).
- Two confidential recommendation letters of school teachers.
- The level of English.
- Academic record.
- The preselected candidates will be called for a personal interview through Skype for the selection to be made.
- The preselected candidates in each application period will be announced approximately on January 17th (first), February 28th (second) and April 3rd (third), respectively. The Skype interviews will take place during the following 10 days.
- The final selection of candidates will be communicated on January 31st (first), March 13th (second) and April 17th (third), respectively.
- Selection will be based on the chosen project/s, upon demand.
- All communications will be via email and the internal mailing of the official website.
- Candidates who pass the selection process will become official participants of the program. There will be selected a total of 100 students from all applications (10-12 for each project).
- Selected students will join BIYSC from July 6th to 17th 2020. Later, on December 2021, they will be required to send a scientific project on the research carried out after the summer program is concluded, which will be assessed by a scientific panel.
- The decision of the selection board is unappealable.
* Once the reviewing board reaches the 100 selected candidates, the following calls will be cancelled.
COST OF THE PROGRAM
- The cost assumed by the student for the participation at BIYSC is 2,450€. The total cost of the stay includes: accommodation and meals from July 6th to 17th 2020, the material used in each of the projects, transport to the research centers, activities and programmed visits, remuneration of the researchers, lecturers and staff, and accident and civil responsibility insurance. Participants are responsible for seeking financial assistance to support their attendance.
- A first non-refundable deposit of 650€ must be made within 14 days of receipt of the acceptance email to the program*. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- The rest of the amount will be paid in full (1,800€) or in two-three monthly installment payments of 900€ or 600€, respectively, until June 11th 2020. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- BIYSC selection process is based on the qualities of the candidates; no student will be excluded from the program for an economic reason. Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation will consider providing scholarships for local students with difficulties to meet the cost of tuition. Please, contact us if this is your situation before doing any payment.
- Any cancellation after June 25th 2020 will be charged the full participation fee. Cancellation will be accepted only in case of serious illness of the participant (need medical proof in writing).
* We only accept payments via online TPV. We do not accept bank charges, please ensure the full amount reaches us.
CATALUNYA LA PEDRERA FOUNDATION is the responsible for the processing of the personal data provided in this form and informs that the data will be dealt in accordance with the provisions of the regulations in force on the protection of personal data, the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union (GDPR UE 2016/679 of April 27, 2016 and Organic Law 3/2018 of December 5 LOPDGDD), for which you are informed of such treatment. Purpose of the treatment: to manage your relationship with the Foundation, as well as the sending of information about activities of the Foundation. Data preservation criteria: your data will be preserved while there is a mutual interest in maintaining the purpose of treatment and will be subsequently retained for the time required by the applicable regulations. This personal data will be deleted after the time required. Communication of the data: data will not be communicated to third parties, unless it is by legal obligation or to those parties involved in the Programme . Rights that assist the user: you can exercise your right to withdraw consent at any time; the right of access, rectification, portability, limitation, opposition and erasure of your information; and the right to file a claim with the Control Authority (agpd.es) if you consider that the treatment does not conform to current regulations. Contact details to exercise your rights: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARTICIPANT CODE OF CONDUCT
Each participant agrees to abide by our participant code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in that person(s) being asked to leave the program. If this occurs, no refund will be given.
At BIYSC, we have high standards both on campus and off. We expect all of our participants to represent their country and BIYSC to the highest standard possible.
This is our code of practice and as a participant you are expected to follow it:
- Participant agrees to:
- Be respectful at all times. Please be advised that customs may be different to your home country and you must respect the traditions, rules and obligations during the program.
- Behave at all times, with self-discipline.
- Attend BIYSC events and arrive punctually for all activities.
- Listen carefully to the information given by the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Provide notice and reasons for any absences to the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Discuss any problems with the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Always behave in a sociable manner, be polite and make an effort to talk to people.
- Remember to eat sensibly and make sure you get the right amount of sleep.
- Participant agrees not to:
- Leave on his/her own; always be accompanied by a Staff member.
- Buy or consume alcohol, illegal drugs, and smoke.
- Steal or be involved in illegal activities.
- Be involved in threatening behavior, bullying, use of offensive language to other participants, researchers, staff or any other person.
- Have an anti-social behavior affecting the overall enjoyment of the other participants.
- Impair, interfere with, or obstruct the order, process, or functioning of BIYSC or any of its participants, researchers, staff, official guests or the surrounding community.