The Barcelona International Youth Science Challenge (BIYSC) is an educational program organized by Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation, Passeig de Gràcia, 92 (08008 Barcelona, Spain). VAT Registration No. G65345472. All details here are published in good faith as of September 2016. These Terms & Conditions apply to all BIYSC applicants and participants.
- Requirements for your application to be considered:
- To be born between January 1st, 2003 and December 31st, 2005.
- The submission of the authorization form with the parent/legal guardian's personal information.
- The submission of the online application form filled by the candidate student.
- The confidential recommendation of the science, mathematics, or technology teacher.
- The confidential recommendation of the tutor, headteacher, or head of studies in the center.
- There will be two application calls: from January 12th to February 23rd, 2021 (first*), and from February 24th to April 8th, 2021 (second).
- Applications that do not provide all the requested documentation will be excluded from the selection process.
- The submission of the application form does not guarantee direct entry to the program. All candidates will be part of the selection process.
- The selection process consists of two phases: preselection and selection.
- The preselection is based on the documentation provided by each applicant. The researchers and professionals in charge of the projects offered in this edition will individually review and assess all applications received. For the preselection the following documentation will be considered:
- Answers to questions on the application form (reasons to have chosen the specific research project (in a video format), personal statement and letter of motivation, personal experience in the field of science, ethical argumentation in science, and endeavor undertaken on getting financial support).
- Two confidential recommendation letters of school teachers.
- The level of English.
- Academic record.
- The preselected candidates will be called for a personal interview through Skype for the selection to be made.
- The preselected candidates in each application period will be announced approximately on March 8th (first) and on April 19th (second), respectively. Skype interviews will take place during the following 5 days.
- The final selection of candidates will be communicated on March 15th (first) and April 26th (second), respectively.
- Selection will be based on the chosen project/s, upon demand.
- All communications will be via email and the internal mailing of the official website.
- Candidates who pass the selection process will become official participants of the program. There will be selected a total of 132 students from all applications (10-12 for each project).
- Selected students will join BIYSC from July 5th to 16th 2021. Later, in December 2021, they will be required to send a scientific project on the research carried out after the summer program is concluded, which will be assessed by a scientific panel.
- The decision of the selection board is unappealable.
* Once the reviewing board reaches 132 selected candidates, the following calls will be canceled.
COST OF THE PROGRAM
- The cost assumed by the student for participation at BIYSC is 2,600€. The total cost of the stay includes accommodation and meals from July 5th to 16th 2021, the material used in each of the projects, transport to the research centers, activities and programmed visits, remuneration of the researchers, lecturers, and staff, and accident and civil responsibility insurance. Participants are responsible for seeking financial assistance to support their attendance.
- The first payment of 800€ must be made within 10 days of receipt of the acceptance email to the program*. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- The rest of the amount will be paid in full (1,800€) or in two-three monthly installment payments of 900€ or 600€, respectively, until June 15th, 2021. Candidates who do not pay within the deadline will be automatically excluded from the program.
- Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation will consider providing scholarships for local students with difficulties to meet the cost of tuition. Please, contact us if this is your situation before doing any payment.
- Any cancellation after June 25th, 2021 will be charged the full participation fee. Cancellation will be accepted only in case of serious illness of the participant (need medical proof in writing).
* We only accept payments via online TPV. We do not accept bank charges, please ensure the full amount reaches us.
COVID-19 PREVENTION MEASURES
The Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation has an Action Plan within the framework of the Covid-19 pandemic, drawn up with the aim of maximising the safety of the people participating in the different science programs. This Plan has been drawn up in accordance with the regulations and containment plans prescribed by the Generalitat de Catalunya and PROCICAT to prevent the risk of transmission and favour the containment of the infection.
The Action Plan covers both the Foundation's own spaces and the spaces belonging to third parties where all or part of the activity of each of the programs is carried out.
Prevention and personal hygiene measures
Whenever possible, individual protection measures shall be complied with, especially the maintenance of social distancing and the use of masks.
Hand washing shall be mandatory and frequent. Multiple hand washing points shall be provided and water-alcohol solution dispensers shall be available.
Cleaning, disinfection and ventilation
Frequent ventilation, cleaning and disinfection of all spaces, surfaces and materials shall be carried out.
Health and safety officer
All activities will have a person in charge of Health and Safety, who will have the certificate of training on prevention and hygiene issued by the Directorate General of Youth and will ensure compliance with the measures set out in the Action Plan.
Formation of groups
The activity will be carried out in group bubbles whenever possible. Contact with people outside this group will be minimised in order to contribute to the safety of the group and to allow good traceability in case of contagion.
Priority shall be given to outdoor activities or activities in open spaces with natural ventilation.
Transport and travel
When travelling by public transport, all persons must wear a face mask. Where occupancy levels permit, the maximum separation between users should be ensured.
To avoid overcrowding, circuits shall be established and circulation shall be organised at specific times and places.
The temperature will be taken daily and the absence of symptoms associated with Covid-19 will be checked. In the case of having symptoms or having been in contact with affected people in the last 14 days, it will not be possible to participate in the activities.
In the event of a positive case, the protocol established by the health authorities will be followed.
This information is an extract from the Covid-19 Action Plan, which is available on request by e-mail from the program, together with the specific sheet of specific measures for each programme.
TERMINATION AND CANCELLATION POLICY
When the participant requests to withdraw from the program:
In the event that the participant chooses to withdraw from the program voluntarily, without just cause, the Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation will not refund any of the payments already made.
Only in the case where the participant claims that the cancellation is due to sufficiently justified personal reasons, or in those cases not provided for in these regulations, the Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation may request accrediting documentation from the participant, and each case will be evaluated individually. The decision of the Foundation will be final.
If the cancellation is due to legal mobility restrictions resulting from the pandemic situation due to COVID-19 decreed by the participant's country of origin or by the countries of transit or destination, the Foundation will reimburse the amounts paid, with the exception of 10% of the program fee, corresponding to management and organization expenses.
As a general rule, the Foundation reserves the right to modify, unilaterally and for justified reasons, any aspect that affects the sessions of the training programs, without this generating any right to a refund of the amounts paid by the participant or his or her tutors.
Cancellation of the program by the Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation
If the complete cancellation of the program is due to internal causes, making it impossible for the Foundation to carry out the program: the Foundation will return 100% of any amount that has been paid. These amounts will be refunded using the same method used for payment.
Cancellation of the program due to force majeure or situations not attributable to either the participant or the Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation
- Force majeure means any unforeseeable, unavoidable and overwhelming situation or event beyond the control of the parties (e.g. war, revolution, terrorist acts, border closures, epidemics, natural disasters, etc.). If the Catalunya la Pedrera Foundation is faced with a situation of force majeure that affects the development or continuity of the program, all those affected will be notified immediately, specifying the nature, effects, duration of the situation, if possible, and the measures that will be taken to deal with the force majeure situation.
- If the complete cancellation is due to the health situation and to the restrictions or regulations in force at the time arising from the pandemic situation due to COVID-19, the Foundation will reimburse the amounts paid, with the exception of 10% of the program fee, corresponding to management and organization expenses.
FUNDACIÓ CATALUNYA LA PEDRERA is the Controller of the personal data provided in this form and hereby informs that the personal data will be processed in accordance with the current regulations on the protection of personal data, the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union (GDPR UE 2016/679 of April 27, 2016) and the Organic Law 3/2018, of December 5 (LOPDGDD). The purpose of the processing is to manage the enrolment and development of our activities, as well as the sending of information about our activities. The lawfulness of the said processing is based on the consent given by the data subject when fulfilling the application form. The data will be kept for the necessary time in order to maintain the purpose of the processing. Once the data is no longer necessary for such purpose, the data will be suppressed by blocking it during the time frame established by law, taking technical and organizational measures in order to prevent the processing of the data including its visualization, and being only available to judges, courts, public prosecutor or public administrations, in order to respond to legal duties. Subsequently, after the suppression or blocking period, the data will be erased. Communication of the data: The personal data will not be revealed to third parties, unless there is a legal obligation to do so, or to those companies of the group for administrative or internal management purposes, or to the providers that act as data processors. Rights that assist the user: you can exercise your right to withdraw your consent at any time; the right of access and rectification, portability and erasure of your data, and rights of restriction and object to the processing of your data by writing to FUNDACIÓ CATALUNYA LA PEDRERA Pg de Gràcia, 92 - 08008 Barcelona (Barcelona). E-mail: email@example.com; and the right to file a claim with the Supervisory Authority (aepd.es) if you consider that the processing does not conform to current regulations.
PARTICIPANT CODE OF CONDUCT
Each participant agrees to abide by our participant code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in that person(s) being asked to leave the program. If this occurs, no refund will be given.
At BIYSC, we have high standards both on campus and off. We expect all of our participants to represent their country and BIYSC to the highest standard possible.
This is our code of practice and as a participant, you are expected to follow it:
- Participant agrees to:
- Be respectful at all times. Please be advised that customs may be different from your home country and you must respect the traditions, rules, and obligations during the program.
- Behave at all times, with self-discipline.
- Attend BIYSC events and arrive punctually for all activities.
- Listen carefully to the information given by the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Provide notice and reasons for any absences to the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Discuss any problems with the BIYSC Staff Team.
- Always behave in a sociable manner, be polite, and make an effort to talk to people.
- Remember to eat sensibly and make sure you get the right amount of sleep.
- Participant agrees not to:
- Leave on his/her own; always be accompanied by a Staff member.
- Buy or consume alcohol, illegal drugs, and smoke.
- Steal or be involved in illegal activities.
- Be involved in threatening behavior, bullying, use of offensive language to other participants, researchers, staff, or any other person.
- Have an anti-social behavior affecting the overall enjoyment of the other participants.
- Impair, interfere with, or obstruct the order, process, or functioning of BIYSC or any of its participants, researchers, staff, official guests, or the surrounding community.