Barcelona is considered one of the 10 best cities in the world for its architecture, arts, culture, buzz, food, drinks, and quality of life. In recent times, Barcelona has also become a leading capital of science and technology, and its culture is soaked with innovation all around!
Every year we welcome millions of visitors from all over the world, offering them an extense variety of activities to enjoy during their stay. All BIYSC participants will discover some of the main attractions in a walking tour in the city center and, in addition, we actively encourage you to get involved in one of these private and guided visits and broaden your experience of Barcelona, be introduced to some of the more memorable attractions and spend time with your newfound friends in an informal cultural context!
The Cultural Experiences are:
- La Pedrera (link is external): Don’t miss Casa Mila (La Pedrera)! Gaudí’s last civil building masterpiece. A monument and a work of art which has been recognized as UNESCO world heritage site. La Pedrera, as well as the headquarters of the Catalunya La Pedrera Foundation, is a cultural centre that hosts exhibitions, conferences and other activities and there are still rented residential apartments in the building!. Discover this exceptional building through the eyes of science.
- Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site (link is external): The formerly Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, is one of the most outstanding examples of Art Nouveau architecture in Barcelona. Its designer, the architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner, was commissioned to construct another of the principal Art Nouveau buildings in Barcelona, the Palau de la Música. Both were declared UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997 in recognition of their uniqueness and beauty.
- Park Güell (link is external): This incredible park system composed of gardens and architectural elements located on Carmel Hill and Collserola Mountain was assigned by Eusebi Güell, a Catalan entrepreneur who profited greatly from the industrial revolution in Catalonia in the late 19th century, to universal known designer and architect, Antoni Gaudí. The park was built from 1900 to 1914 and was officially opened as a public park in 1926. In 1984, UNESCO declared the park a World Heritage Site under "Works of Antoni Gaudí”
- Sagrada Família (link is external): The Expiatory Temple of the Sagrada Familia, known simply as the Sagrada Familia, is a spectacular Catholic basilica designed by the brilliant architect Antoni Gaudí. Begun in 1882, it is still under construction but will leave you astonished. It is Gaudí's masterpiece and the greatest exponent of Catalan modernist architecture.
The Science Experiences are:
Barcelona is willing to welcome students from all over the world that are driven by the same passion. Our city boasts several state-of-the-art scientific facilities and has a high number of cutting-edge science & technology parks linked to prestigious universities and medical institutions. At BIYSC, you will be able to discover a scientific site through a private and guided visit and broaden your experience of Barcelona even more.
The Science Experiences are:
- MareNostrum Supercomputer (BSC-CNS) (link is external) One of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, located in the former Torre Girona chapel. The participants of the project coordinated by the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) will visit this site during their research project.
- Mathematics Museum of Catalonia (link is external). Math museums in the world are numbered few more than pi and there is one near Barcelona!
- CosmoCaixa (link is external). The science museum in Barcelona designed to stimulate people’s knowledge and opinion of science through exhibitions and a wide variety of activities.
- ALBA Sincrotron (link is external). The ALBA Synchrotron ALBA is a 3rd generation Synchrotron Light facility being the newest source in the Mediterranean area. It is a complex of electron accelerators to produce synchrotron light, which allows the visualization of the atomic structure of matter as well as the study of its properties.
We inform you that all participants must participate in these visits included in the fee. The booking will offered on a first-come-first-served basis and must be booked before June 5th through BIYSC participants account and personal tabs (www.biysc.org/user).