Beyond the scalpel: discover the Surgery of the Future
Aging populations, rising chronic diseases, and the increasing complexity of medical interventions are putting a strain on healthcare systems worldwide. The traditional approach to surgery, often characterized by lengthy hospital stays and invasive procedures, is becoming increasingly untenable in the face of these challenges. To meet the demands of modern medicine, a paradigm shift is underway, driven by the transformative power of digital technologies. Robotic surgery, augmented reality, 3D printing, biometric monitoring, deep tech, and artificial intelligence are not isolated innovations; they are converging to create a more personalized, precise and effective surgical experience for patients worldwide.
This project aims to provide a unique and immersive experience for BIYSC participants, offering you an opportunity to delve into the exciting world of surgery. During you stay at Hospital Germans Trias I Pujol, you will be embedded with the general surgery team, gaining valuable insights into the daily life and responsibilities of surgeons. You will also have the privilege of witnessing advancements in surgical technology, including robotic surgery and augmented reality-assisted procedures. During the project, you will have the opportunity to:
- Shadow experienced surgeons during their daily routines, including preoperative consultations, intraoperative procedures, and postoperative care.
- Attend lectures and demonstrations on various surgical specialties, gaining knowledge about specific surgical techniques and procedures.
- Participate in hands-on simulations, allowing them to apply theoretical concepts to practical scenarios.
- Witness live demonstrations of robotic surgery and augmented reality-assisted procedures, gaining first-hand exposure to cutting-edge technologies.
This project will contribute to inspiring the next generation of surgeons by providing them with a unique and enriching experience. It will also help bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and real-world applications, fostering a passion for science and medicine among young individuals.
If you are interested in medicine and are considering becoming a surgeon, this project is for you! STEM students with an interest in medicine, nursing, biology, biotechnology, biomedicine, genetics, neuroscience, pharmacy, and other life-sciences related disciplines will enjoy this opportunity. Nevertheless, because healthcare is transforming so will the professionals working on it, we also encourage individuals with an interest in engineering, mathematics, physics, computing, and other technology-related fields to participate in the programme.
Please note that this is a medical project and as such, you will find yourselves in real situations with real patients. There might be instances where you might witness blood or even the insides of patients. We do not recommend the project if you are highly sensitive to blood or unsure of your tolerance to it.
The objectives of this project are:
- To provide BIYSC participants with a hands-on understanding of the surgical profession.
- To expose students to the latest innovations in surgical technology.
- To foster a passion and enthusiasm for science and medicine among future generations.
By the end of this project, we hope that you will have:
- A comprehensive understanding of the roles and responsibilities of surgeons.
- A deeper appreciation for the importance of surgical innovation and technology.
- Increased interest in pursuing a career in the medical field, particularly in the field of surgery.
To join our project you will only be required to bring your own laptop, a notebook and a lab coat.