Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB)
The Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) is a public institution engaged in basic and applied research at the unique interface between molecular and cell biology, computational and structural biology and chemistry, with experts in proteomics, genomics, biostatistics and advanced digital microscopy.
Research at IRB Barcelona is carried out by 23 groups, organized in 5 programs, which work together with the common goal of conducting multidisciplinary projects that address important biomedical problems that affect our society. Approximately 450 scientists and technical and administrative staff from 35 countries currently work at IRB Barcelona. The institute was created by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona (UB) in October 2005 and is located at the Barcelona Science Park.
- In 2017: joined the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST).
- In 2015: awarded with the “Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence” seal by the Ministry of Research, Development and Innovation of Spain
- In 2014: awarded with the “Human Resources Excellence in Research” seal by the European Commission.
- In 2012: awarded with the “Narcís Monturiol” award by the Government of Catalonia.
- Awarded 10 European Research Council (ERC) grants.