Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO) is a young research institution that aims to advance the very limits of knowledge in Photonics, namely the science and technology of harnessing Light.
Light, especially laser light, is one of the major enabling technologies currently available to humankind. Our research thrusts target the global forefront of photonics and aim to tackle important challenges faced by society at large. The research groups focus on current and future problems in health, energy, information, safety, security and caring for the environment.
- In 2018: awarded with the “Extraordinary PhD Thesis Award” to two PhD graduates with the.
- In 2018: awarded with the “Durán Farell” award to Jordi Martorell for technological research.
- In 2017: awarded with the GEFES Prize for Best Experimental Thesis to Dr. Achim Woessner for best thesis in Condensed Matter Physics.
- In 2017: awarded with the RSEF FUNDACIÓN BBVA 2017 Medal to ICFO Prof. Maciej Lewenstein.
- In 2017: recognized with the “Best of the Best” publication to the PhD graduate Dr. Jordi Tura for his outstanding PhD research by Springer.
- In 2017: awarded with the “Manuel Rico” Bruker National Prize to Prof. María García-Parajo for Biophysics.
- In 2017: awarded with the Prize for Fundamental Aspects of Quantum Electronics and Optics to Prof. Niek van Hulst by the European Physical Society.
- In 2016: awarded with the “Paul Ehrenfest” Best Paper Award to the ICFO researchers for Algorithmic Pseudorandomness in Quantum Setups.
- Awarded with a Starting Grant to Prof. Simon Wall to establish himself as independent research leader by European Research Consortium (ERC).
- Awarded with the 1st Banc Sabadell Foundation Award to the ICREA Prof. Romain Quidant for Science and Engineering.
- Awarded with the Salvà i Campillo Award to Lluís Torner for leadership of ICFO by the Catalan Association of Engineers and COEINF.
- Awarded with the Vanguard Award for Science to Hugues de Riedmatten’s work on the first hybrid quantum information network.