Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB)
The Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) is a public institution engaged in basic and applied research at the unique interface between molecular and cell biology, computational and structural biology and chemistry, with experts in proteomics, genomics, biostatistics and advanced digital microscopy. Research at IRB Barcelona is carried out by 23 groups, organized into five programs, which work together with the common goal of conducting multidisciplinary projects that address important biomedical problems that affect our society. Approximately 450 scientists and technical and administrative staff from 35 countries currently work at IRB Barcelona. The institute was created by the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) and the University of Barcelona (UB) in October 2005 and is located at the Barcelona Science Park.
- Since 2016 – IRB Barcelona is member of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST)
- Since 2015 – “Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence” seal from the Ministry of Research, Development and Innovation of Spain
- Since 2014 – “Human Resources Excellence in Research” seal from the European Commission
- 2012 – “Narcís Monturiol” award from the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya)
- IRB has been awarded 10 European Research Council (ERC) grants