Synthetic, Perceptive, Emotive and Cognitive Systems Lab (SPECS)
The laboratory of Synthetic Perceptive Emotive Cognitive Systems (SPECS) is part of the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), a research center whose purpose is to carry out interdisciplinary research at the highest international quality level which, by creating knowledge, helps to improve health and quality of life and generate wealth. SPECS mission is to understand mind, brain and behavior through constructing synthetic perceptive, emotive and cognitive systems. SPECS performs interdisciplinary research in the domains of technology, cognitive science and humanities, and has a long-standing tradition in the domains of computational neuroscience, cognitive science and interactive systems. SPECS group is a multidisciplinary group founded in 2005 by the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA) Research Professor Paul Verschure.
- 2014 – “Consolidated Research Group” award by the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya).
- 2014 – Paul Verschure, director of SPECS, was awarded for “Excellence in Knowledge Transfer” by UPF Social Committee for the achievement with the Rehabilitation Gaming System (RGS).
- 2014 – Recognized with an European Research Council (ERC) advanced grant for the “CDAC – The role of consciousness in adaptive behaviour: A combined empirical, computational and robot based approach” project.
- 2012 – “Finalist Award” by Pasion>ie (Insituto de Empresa, Madrid) for the Rehabilitation Gaming System (RGS) research project.
- 2012 – “Social Media and Creativity” award of the Campus Milenio Event.
- 2017 – IBEC joins the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST)
- 2015 – “Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence” seal from the Ministry of Research, Development and Innovation (MINECO), Spain.
- 2015 – “Human Resources Excellence in Research” seal from the European Commission.
- 2014 and 2015 – IBEC’s Communications and Outreach Unit won funding for a year of outreach activities under FECYT’s call “Convocatoria de Ayudas para el fomento de la cultura científica, tecnológica y de la innovación 2014”.
- 2014 – IBEC was accepted into FECYT’s Red de Unidades de Cultura Científica y de la Innovación (UCC+i), a network of centres accredited for their contribution to scientific culture.