Synthetic, Perceptive, Emotive and Cognitive Systems Lab (SPECS)
The University Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is the youngest public university in Catalonia, being founded in 1990. The proposed project will be implemented at the Laboratory of Synthetic Perceptive Emotive Cognitive Systems (SPECS). SPECS is part of the Department of Information and Communication Technologies at the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF). SPECS mission is to understand mind, brain and behaviour through constructing synthetic perceptive, emotive and cognitive systems. SPECS performs interdisciplinary research in the domains of technology, cognitive science and humanities, and has a long-standing tradition in the domains of computational neuroscience, cognitive science and interactive systems. SPECS group is a multidisciplinary group founded in 2005 by the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA) Research Professor Paul Verschure.
- 2014 – “Consolidated Research Group” award by the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya).
- 2014 – Paul Verschure, director of SPECS, was awarded for “Excellence in Knowledge Transfer” by UPF Social Committee for the achievement with the Rehabilitation Gaming System (RGS).
- 2014 – Recognized with an European Research Council (ERC) advanced grant for the “CDAC – The role of consciousness in adaptive behaviour: A combined empirical, computational and robot based approach” project.
- 2012 – “Finalist Award” by Pasion>ie (Insituto de Empresa, Madrid) for the Rehabilitation Gaming System (RGS) research project.
- 2012 – “Social Media and Creativity” award of the Campus Milenio Event.
- 2015 – UPF ranks on the Times Higher Education Ranking, being the 12th highest ranked university in the world among those under 50 years of age.
- 2015 – UPF ranks 9th in Europe in Multirank.
- 2015 – UPF ranks as the most productive university in Spain in the U-Ranquing (BBVA Foundation – Ivie)
- 2014 – UPF ranks as the 1st Spanish university (position 165 worldwide and 72 in Europe) on the Times Higher Education Ranking.
- 2014 – UPF is among the 400 top universities in the world, according to Shanghai University Ranking, and by fields, it is the 1st Spanish university in Social Sciences.